Monday, January 28, 2008

"Ron Paul Freedom Hall" in my Hometown

From the Mississippi Press:
The Ron Paul Freedom Hall speaks louder than words.

It pops up suddenly along U.S. Highway 90 in Ocean Springs. The building's red and blue stripes, blue and white round concrete steps and American flags scattered across the front lawn, coupled with its location in a sparsely populated area of the highway, make it nearly impossible for motorists to ignore.
I'm definitely going to have to go see this (I'll put up pictures) over Mardi Gras.
Michael Campbell, a U.S. Marine and a three-time veteran of the Iraq conflict, said he first started supporting Paul online by posting MySpace messages and blogging about his platform.

Paul supports an immediate U.S. military withdrawal from Iraq, which Campbell said is wise because the nation is "wearing thin" on troops and commodities.

"I got the word out on the Internet as soon as I heard he was running," Campbell said.
Support the troops. Demand withdrawal from Iraq.
Ina Alderman said the average person's involvement in political issues has changed from just 50 years ago. At one time, even children felt they had a voice in the political process, Alderman said.

"I remember when I was a child, we would skip along the sidewalk and say, I like Ike. I like Ike.' I don't see that any more," Alderman said. "I see a lot of apathy."

But, when inside the Freedom Hall, Alderman she sees the nation changing back to the way she remembers it.

"I think that this work here is America at its best," Alderman said.
I think the Vietnam War (among other things) was responsible for getting people to lose interest in and optimism about politics. I do believe that this Millennial Generation will reconnect and re-engage far more than recent generations though.

Passion and involvement in the political process is good. Congratulations to the Ron Paul and Barack Obama campaigns for harnessing that.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Ron Paul's position on the war, and I was glad he took it. I also think you're right about the generational re-connection, and optimism is a good thing as long as it's not used as a substitute for a strong policy agenda and a realistic approach to pressing it into law.

    I think Sen. Obama may be the best Democratic politician we've seen in a long, long time, and I am very glad he is on our side. I was glad he and Sen. Clinton showed up and voted on FISA today. We won (for today) by three votes.

    I have some doubts about the Vietnam War being the factor in the loss of interest, though. I think the end of the war and subsequent failure of the activist left to maintain their coalition once it was over, combined with the distrust in government engendered by Nixon's shenanigans, had a lot more to do with it.

    Also, must mention that even though I think Paul is right about the war, I've had some serious reservations about him from the beginning and I'm glad he hasn't been a bigger factor in the race.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron Paul

    "(D)ope for America"


    *Yes I realize that was uncalled for. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee hee. Uncalled for but funny.

    I'm gonna try and live blog the SOTU. Probably should have mentioned it earlier. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but it seems like fun. My comments are open without moderation.

    ReplyDelete