Friday, November 7, 2008

Not so proud moment for Mississippi

According to WAPT, two students were kicked off a public school bus for saying Senator Barack Obama's name. In a separate incident, a girls' basketball coach (at a public school) threatened to suspend any student from the team who mention Senator Obama's name.

Here's a link to the web-story: http://www.wapt.com/video/17928161/

I had heard some unconfirmed rumors of this type of activity occurring in some workplaces, but I am definitely shocked to hear this. Times are changing in the world, and it makes me very sad to hear people clinging to such hatred in the year 2008. I'm not naive enough to think racism doesn't exist everywhere - I know it does. However, we are obviously in the limelight on such issues, and I hope we can all grow and learn from this experience of having elected the first African American president.

As Mississippians, we will never be better than the bottom (where we remain on many lists such as health care and education) unless we stop hating people because they do not look like us or they do not think like us.

America took a giant leap forward last Tuesday, but Mississippi refuses to budge.

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely ridiculous. Really embarrassing. But, if it makes you feel better - and it won't - I've compiled a compendium of similar racist incidents around the country over kingpolitics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reasonably Prudent PersonNovember 8, 2008 at 7:02 AM

    There are rumors floating around on the web that the kids were taunting other students and being disruptive. I suspect there is a lot more to this story, but since they are minors we may never hear it. Children have speech rights, but not the right to be disruptive. I haven't read the Bong Hits for Jesus case in a while. I hope that this was the case - that the kids were acting out and disciplined accordingly, and not a situation where they were prohibited from discussing/saying Obama's name for purely racial reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is embarrasing and uncalled for. I didnt support Obama for President, but I support him now because he will be my president, and I hope that he succeeds. I will give loyal oppisition, but not because the color of his skin.

    However, I think you are wrong to put all Mississippians in this category. Not all Mississippians are like this, and there are others like this outside of Mississippi. Just because Mississippians vote for Conservative candidates, it does not mean we are racist and dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like you, dawg, I did vote for McCain, but now that the election is over, I also understand that the man IS my President, and I, as a citizen, will support him as the President of the United States (POTUS sounds so cheap!). If there are issues that I disagree on, I'll agree to disagree. Race is not a factor in my way of looking at the Office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. reasonably prudent person,

    What did you think of the Cheatham case? Pretty crazy, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, that sort of thing is goofy, as is the guy who changed his route to work because on the old route he would have to pass a house with a McCain sign in the yard.

    But why do you assume that the aversion to Mr. Obama comes from racism? Couldn't it arise from the fact that based on his past conduct and statements he is perceived as a radical leftist? People around here don't like having their religious faith and gun ownership mocked, as Mr. O did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kids and buses go together like candy and razorblades...there is going to be trouble. i bet there's more to this story than meets the eye! how do i know, my kid gets in trouble on the bus at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reasonably Prudent PersonNovember 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM

    No post in eleven days, has the blog jumped the shark?

    ReplyDelete