Friday, February 15, 2008

Erik Fleming Is A Proud And Devoted Democrat

I am honored to have an opportunity to post on this blog. It is also an honor to have served in public office in Mississippi for nine years, and to be a Democrat all my political life. As a founder of the Jackson State Chapter of the Young Democrats of Mississippi, doors were opened to me that I did not envision when I first arrived on that campus in 1983.

Through that experience, and being chosen by my fellow students as their student body president in 1987, I was able to meet people like Bill Allain, Mike Espy, and Ray Mabus. One of my highlights in my student government tenure was providing buses for students to go home and vote for Espy in 1986, as well as providing ground troops for his historical campaign. Then, upon graduation, I was chosen to work with Mabus' campaign for Governor in 1987, where I learned how diverse and big this state really was.

To tell you what kind of political junkie I was, when I had free time from the Mabus campaign, I would run down to the Magnolia Towers at night and volunteer for the Mike Moore campaign. That volunteerism led to an opportunity to work for Mike Parker in 1988, yes when he was a Democrat, when he ran for the U.S. Congress. It was during those early altruistic years that my love for Mississippi deepened and my commitment to fight the good fight as a Democrat grew stronger.

I have never wavered from those basic beliefs even though I have been hardened by my later political endeavors. Despite the personal obstacles I have had to overcome and the never ending blows to my pride and ego, I still engage because I believe in Mississippi, I believe in the Democratic Party, and I serve a God that says all things are possible.

I am eternally grateful to the people of this state for allowing a boy from the south side of Chicago to come, get a world-class education, and make a mark in politics here. I intend to continue to contribute to the public discourse of issues here in Mississippi and will always make myself available to those who wish to positively engage in those discussions.

In the coming days, the people of Mississippi will choose individuals that will lead this state and this nation, especially on issues addressing poverty, health care, education and real national security. It is my goal to make sure that the citizens here make an informed decision.

Again thanks for the opportunity to share with your readers.

Erik R. Fleming
2008 Democratic Candidate, U.S. Senate, Mississippi

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for submitting this!

    In a best case senario with an energized Democratic turnout with Barack Obama and a depressed Republican turnout due to McCain we could see two Senate races worth watching and working in.

    ReplyDelete