Friday, February 22, 2008

Obama Coming To Mississippi?


There has been a lot of talk about Barack Obama coming to Mississippi recently.

I got e-mails about folks receiving robo-calls telling them he was coming to DeSoto County. I assured those folks that the call was false.

I've had folks call me because they are excited that he's coming to this town or that town when it's just a fundraiser by local supporters.

He's a little tied up right now attempting to win Texas, Ohio, Vermont, and Rhode Island (states where Hillary Clinton is currently ahead.) Those elections are on the 4th of March.

Then there is Wyoming on the 8th.

Our primary is March 11th. It's the last primary for over a month with the next contest being in Pennsylvania on April 22nd.

It will be important as the last chance to show momentum.

Don't worry if he's coming. He will come AFTER March 4th.

So far the only publicly announced date is that he MAY be at the Jefferson Jackson Hamer Dinner on the 6th. I've complained to the party and to the Obama campaign because the cheapest tickets are $50. Obama doesn't charge for events.

I sincerely doubt that his only event in the state would require a contribution. Take a deep breath, he's coming.

Yes We Can.

4 comments:

  1. Well, the JJ-Hamer dinner isn't an Obama-based event. I'd LOVE it if he came, but it is the annual fund raiser, and as such I think it's valid to charge. Ideally, he'd do two days down here.

    I have asked around but heard very little about anybody coming down. I'm disappointed--especially with this year being not unlike a Reagan '80 gig--but hope that there's still good news to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right.

    It's not his event, but he should be in some venue where people can see him for free.

    If Hillary hasn't dropped out we should expect visits by both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the possibility that Hillary Clinton will have dropped out by then is pretty significant. I've been looking at the poll data; she basically has to clean house in both Ohio and Texas to have a prayer of catching up with him in pledged delegates, and the polls have them tied in Texas and 6 points apart in Ohio. Unless she has New Hampshire-level success in one of the two states next Tuesday, I would expect Obama to be the nominee on March 5th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhm, by "next Tuesday" I mean "a week from Tuesday." Sorry; smart brain, dumb fingers.

    ReplyDelete