Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Shows bows out of race

Released today:

For Immediate Release
February 19, 2008

Statement by Ronnie Shows

“When Trent Lott announced his resignation from the United States Senate it was clear to me that Mississippi needed a new Independent voice to represent this great state. A voice that would fight for better health care, real immigration reform that would help Mississippi workers compete, and fight to end the partisan bickering in Washington that keeps anything from getting done.

After weeks of talking to my family and friends I have come to the conclusion that we would not be able to raise the millions of dollars needed to compete with a former Governor and the hand picked candidate from the sitting Governor therefore I will not be a candidate for the United States Senate. I love Mississippi and I hope with all my heart our new Senator will be that independent voice this state needs.

Ronnie Musgrove has a long history of working with all Mississippians to bring about change and I believe he is now our best hope to be the Independent Voice this state needs in Washington. I look forward in the coming months to helping Governor Musgrove win this election so Mississippi will have a Senator who will work to end the partisan bickering that prevents Washington from getting anything done.”

8 comments:

  1. Hey you guys!

    I'm wondering how this is going to play out now. I was hearing some solid Democrats say some things a few weeks ago that might hurt him. I couldn't confirm them at the time, so I'm not gonna repeat them, but hint: it was an insurance-related thing.

    so, just wonder what you guys think about his level of support. He certainly seems to have some cash for blog ads, but I haven't really been following this campaign closely.

    ah. and Wicker was handing out copies of the Constitution on television today. Can ya believe that??? The Constitution!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been able to figure out (and I'm trying to put this as gently as I can) why Ronnie Shows was in the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's w/ the "independent voice" stuff? Even tho' this is a special election and therefore, allegededly nonpart, we all know Musgrove and Shows are/were democrats. Is Shows trying to deny those hard working Dems wut brung him to the Congressional dance? Furthermore, is he calling on Musgrove to do the same? Not smart at all when you look at the future make up of Congress after Nov.! He shouldn't have put his name in the ring to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congressman Shows always truly advocated for his constituency and not his own personal philosophy. He was an advocate for Mississippians’ agenda and not the Party’s agenda. Some might call that running from his party; I call it a dedicated public servant who truly understands the meaning of a representative democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bryan, I wish I liked Ronnie Shows as much as you do, but I don't. What I remember is a guy who used "the Mexicans are stealing your jobs" as a near-campaign slogan in the 2002 race, and the first legislator of either party to propose a U.S. constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage. Democrats are supposed to stand up for the vulnerable, not beat up on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom, I guess that's just Shows' so-called independent voice rearin' its Republican head!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom, do you truly believe the citizens of the former 4th CD regard the issue of same sex marriage with mere impartiality?

    But that is neither here nor there, for you proved my point conclusively.

    And, face the facts man: you are a single-issue voter.

    Musgrove will soon be out of the race and we’ll all be stuck with Wicker by default, and then you’ll rue the day Shows dropped out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can you be so bitter about your guy dropping out when he was never really running just hoping the election would be in November. It seems like he was going to rely on Democratic hit jobs from people like yourself to promote his candidacy.

    Thats just sad man.

    Get over it now. He's out. What the hell does saying "we will all rue the day when Shows dropped out" do for any effort to win against Wicker?

    If anything you're the single issue voter. "Shows or No one".

    Illegal immigration? If thats true, that Shows was the one to make a fuss about it in MISSISSIPPI than he is a opportunist. Move to a state with a illegal "problem" and then we'll talk.

    ReplyDelete