Thursday, July 24, 2008

Travis Childers update

I received this from Congressman Travis Childers this morning. He sends out these updates on a regular basis as one way to keep his constituents informed. You may sign up to receive the e-updates here. Receive Updates from Travis Childers


July 24, 2008

Dear Friends,

Small businesses make up one of the most important parts of our economy and communities in North Mississippi. Throughout the state, there are an estimated 216,700 small businesses, which employ more than half of Mississippi's non-farm workforce.

I'm a small businessman myself, as well as a member of the Financial Services Committee in the House of Representatives, and I understand the commitment it takes to build a successful business on tight budgets and limited resources. This week, I introduced the Invest in Small Business Act of 2008 to make it less difficult for small businesses to raise seed money and get off the ground. My bill will help encourage investment in small businesses by making it easier for business owners to attract investors, cutting taxes on investors, and making more small businesses eligible for tax cuts.

By encouraging individuals and corporations to invest in small businesses, we can help strengthen the economy in North Mississippi and create jobs here at home. This legislation is especially important for communities that are working to rebuild after Hurricane Katrina and are counting on small businesses to create jobs and help their communities rebound.

However, small businesses are too important for us to stop there. I recently signed on as a cosponsor of the bipartisan Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) Act to make it easier for small businesses to provide quality, affordable health care to their employees. By offering incentives such as tax credits to small business owners and self-employed individuals, as well as an option for small businesses to form statewide or nationwide purchasing pools, the act allows businesses to decrease costs and increase the accessibility of employee health care coverage.

Rising gas prices are also taking a toll on small businesses, and I'm committed to providing some relief. Last week, I held my very first tele-town hall to introduce my six-point energy plan and speak with the people of the First Congressional District about their energy concerns. During the call, a small trucking company owner from Marshall asked if I had any ideas to help smaller businesses afford skyrocketing diesel fuel prices, which are even higher than the price of regular gas.

To provide relief for farmers and truckers faced with the heavy burden of rising fuel costs, I proposed diesel tax credits as part of my energy plan. Offsetting these costs also means that increased diesel prices are not passed on to consumers at the grocery store.

I'll be working hard to pass the Invest in Small Business Act and other measures to promote the success of small businesses, and will continue to do everything I can to create jobs and improve job security in North Mississippi.

Sincerely,
Congressman Travis W. Childers
First District, Mississippi


No comments:

Post a Comment