Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Why Musgrove is a Democrat

There was a great interview of former Governor Ronnie Musgrove in the Delta Democrat Times. This excerpt of Musgrove explaining why he is a Democrat is insightful.

Note: The DDT interviewer make an invalid assumption that the GOP is the more fiscally responsible party. Funny thing, Bill Clinton is the most fiscally responsible President we have had in 30 years. That is a fact, Jack.

DDT: Speaking of the party, the term “fiscally responsible” and then some of your social positions don't really sound particularly in line with how most people see the Democratic party. What makes you a Democrat?


RM: There are a lot of things. Number one, the Democratic party stands for giving opportunity, economic opportunity, to all people.

I am a product of a big town, population: 42. My mom and dad never graduated from high school. Dad died when I was in the second grade, and my mom raised five of us.

And were it not for the fact that we live in the greatest country in the world, and policies that helped people like me go to college and to have opportunity, then I wouldn't be able to sit here and talk to you today. That's an important area.

My predecessor as governor (Republican Kirk Fordice) had put less than 1,000 children on the children's health insurance program. We retooled the program, and I added over 61,000 children to the children's health insurance program. It's opportunity, it's education, and it's the ability to take part of the American dream.

And yes, I've been endorsed by the NRA (National Rifle Association) in every race that I've run in. And I think that's very symbolic of Mississippi. It's my personal belief, and I think it's very representative, not symbolic. I think representative is a better word.

Likewise, I'm very conservative. I am pro-life, anti-gay marriage. And again, that's my personal belief, but I think it's also very representative of Mississippi.


And again, I think that people in Mississippi want someone who's going to stand up and represent them in the face of a Washington that is just broken and is not working.

It's not that there are just one or two problems today...For the sixth straight month, we've lost a tremendous number of jobs. The result of the borrowing and out-of-control spending has resulted in a very shaky economy, job opportunities that have been lost, trade agreements that haven't been negotiated for the best interests of our workers, a housing mortgage crisis. Available capital for someone trying to get into business or into the market (is) almost cut off.

Talk to car dealers and all, and they'll tell you it's hard to sell a car today because people have a hard time financing the car. And on top of all that, people see inflation at the highest rate it's been in years, and yet people's incomes have stayed stagnant or in fact gone down in comparison to inflation.

And Washington is sitting around and has not increased minimum wage. My opponent has been against the minimum wage every time, has not worked across the lines together to find solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment