Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Reliable Voting System

Andy Taggart at the Red/Blue blog says that no new problems arose with the new system for voting.

In addition to posting this letter to the editor from the Sun Herald, I posted this response below:
When I personally was voting (as a computer savvy member of the millennial generation) I couldn't understand some of the messages I was getting.

When I called over the Diebold representative he told me it was nothing and then when I went to print the paper copy of my vote it said it did, but I watched as it didn't.

The Diebold representaive said to me that I must have missed it happening somehow.

When I had finalized my vote or whatever a screen came up saying the machine was out of paper and the Diebold representative began working on it after having told me that I must have been in error and that there wasn't anything wrong.

To say that the election showed no new "voting machine problems" is either uneducated or disingenuous.

We really need a system that we can trust and such a system requires the ability to do a manual paper recount.

Optical scan systems were almost as quick as the Diebold and weren't subject to the tampering and failures of the new systems. We really should consider scrapping the Diebold system like some states have already started to do.

2 comments:

  1. The biggest problem I had voting on election day was with poll workers encouraging (that's the nice way of saying it) me to vote in the Democratic primary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The biggest problem to me was the lack of privacy. I don't know if this is a statewide problem, but it sure was in Adams County. Anyone walking by (and there were plenty) could see how you voted. There were people who didn't vote because of this.

    ReplyDelete