Thursday, December 13, 2007

Mike Moore Will Not Run for Senator

The Clarion Ledger is reporting that Mike Moore has said he will not run for the U S Senate seat being vacated by Trent Lott.

“I am happy doing what I am doing, my family is happy, and I look forward to making a big difference in my state and nation,” Moore said in a statement. “I have seriously considered the U.S. Senate vacancy as my friends urged me to do, but I have always known that what I am doing now is good enough for me.”
This is very sad news, since Moore would have made a fantastic U S Senator. The Cotton Mouth Team were big supporters, and we're very disappointed. Moore also had the best chance of any Democratic candidate to get elected.

Many are speculating this announcement was somehow a result of the Scruggs indictment. There is no doubt the Republicans would have used his relationship with Scruggs against him. And of course, Republicans are all hoping he and Attorney General Jim Hood - the bright stars of the Mississippi Democratic Party - are indicted as well - or at least tarnished by the Scruggs brush. Personally, I'm not worried a bit - let them rant and rave.

Cross posted at The Natchez Blog

Update John Leek: The Letter at The Clarion Ledger's Website

7 comments:

  1. Well this clears the field for Musgrove, if he wants it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock Casey Ann!

    Great job on the speed.

    This is a blow though. I'm starting to think he's out of politics for good. He had a couple decades in office and it is a far easier life in private practice.

    Best of luck to him and I'm curious to know who all will run (in addition to Musgrove).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a sneaking suspicion that if Moore wants to get back into politics, it'll be in 2011. He'll have to run against Haley Barbour's record, which means he needs to do this sort of thing when he's not on the heels of the Eaves blowout.

    But Ronnie Musgrove would be VERY potent. If it comes down to Wicker vs. Musgrove, I would have to give a slight edge to Musgrove if he plays his cards right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Musgrove would be a dead duck if he ran. His sucking the toes of a female attorney will be broadcast far and wide. Plus, he was a big Kerry backer in 2004 and opposed the current flag of Miss. That will hurt him if he runs.

    These are not relevant issues to me, because I like the guy. In fact, he is one of the most pleasant guys you'd want to meet. I'd rather see him run for Lt. Governor in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reasonably Prudent PersonDecember 14, 2007 at 1:21 PM

    It wasn't a female attorney, it was a client and campaign contributor. But it was toes all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But he wasn't married at the time, and neither was she, so what's the big deal? I mean, Giuliani divorced his second wife by press conference because he was schtupping his third, and you know as well as I do that Mississippi will flip for him next November if he gets the Republican nod. Seems to me that, relatively speaking, fornication ain't gonna impress most Mississippians in 2008.

    ReplyDelete