Monday, July 16, 2007

Edwards In Mississippi

I'm not sure what I expected now, but it wasn't this.

After some difficulty getting in due to there being no Edwards person at the door when we got there we did get in and I was amazed to see how many journalists were there. There was already a virtual wall of television cameras in the back when we went in and I took my place behind a row of seats occupied by print journalism reporters.

I looked next to me and saw Anderson Cooper from CNN and introduced myself and Alex Scharr who came with me.

He was generally friendly and we engaged in a few minutes of conversation including Alex asking him why he'd backed out of an event at Loyola where he goes to school. Anderson Cooper gave a good reason that included international travel. I asked him when they were going to do another special on the Mississippi Coast with Kathleen Koch and he said he hoped they would soon. Our conversation was ended when a police officer came over and told Anderson Cooper that the mayor wanted a picture and he left.

Shortly after John Edwards entered with some current and former poultry plant workers and advocates for the poor and they sat down and spoke on issues of treatment in the workplace and poverty.

John Edwards mostly asked questions and listened thoughtfully with Elizabeth who looked good I think.

Afterwords the press was ushered through a side door to the rear of the Church where they waited for John Edwards to answer questions. We waited a while and I overheard the Fox News cameraman remark to another news person that John Edwards was giving a one on one interview with Anderson Cooper. Looking around I didn't see Anderson Cooper or John Edwards so I assume that was correct.

John Edwards then did come out and answered a half a dozen questions from the press. He started by saying that he wanted the press to focus on the poverty part of the Road to One America Tour and not him saying that he wasn't the point.

He then went and shook hands and signed the shirts of a few folks who had gathered from the community to see what was happening and then got in the van to head to the next stop in Marks, Mississippi.

---------------------

I'll put up selected video clips and photos starting tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. good post.

    Now someone needs to tell him where the Delta exactly is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Could you clarify your comment on the Delta?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He called Canton part of the Delta.

    Canton is in Madison County.

    To my knowledge, no one in Mississippi considers Madison part of the Delta.

    Although, in fairness, Canton itself is something like 80% black, and per capita income is about the same as what you'd find in the Delta.

    ReplyDelete