Friday, August 10, 2007

Post-Katrina Living: Making Do and Good Enough

by Ana Maria

It’s finally here! We have the date on which the contractor will arrive and do the next set of renovations to my mom’s home.

He’ll sand and seal the wood that hasn’t been touched in that way since my parents had the house built 45 years ago. Hang the doors to the bedrooms. Rework the closet doors. Create new doors for the utility room. Put up the crown molding on the ceiling and the floors. I think that about covers this next leg of returning to life BK—before Katrina.

When I arrived back in March, I was shocked at everything. From the total disappearance of so much of my home town here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast through the evaporation of nearly every home and business along the 40-50 miles of beach going east to Biloxi, which is as far as I’ve traveled that way. Then going west to see family in New Orleans was more of the same: destruction, devastation, disappearance, and evaporation.

Clearly, the PR campaign that the Bush Administration has going along with its counterpart in the Mississippi Governor’s Mansion via Haley Barbour doesn’t hold any water. Barbour is the former head of the national Republican Party and good friends with Bush. Naturally, they would support each other’s BS, I mean PR, campaign.

Read more at A.M. in the Morning!

2 comments:

  1. congrats on finally being able to make some progress on your house. Hope it turns out well.

    now back to the food fight. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. However, allow me to make on clarification to your post about Barbour/Bush. You may not have seen this living on the coast but it was reported prominently in the CL.

    Barbour, believe it or not, had to fight the Bush admin tooth and nail just to get the aid Mississippi recieved, with the help of the congressional delegation. Much help I should say. Bush's people fought our leaders every step of the way on getting aid, saying it was too much and making up other reasons. I don't think you will find our Republicans in MS too enamored with Bush if you speak to them privately.

    ReplyDelete