Thursday, September 13, 2007

Laurel Mayor: I Am A Democrat And I'm Not Endorsing Barbour

Emily Wagster Pettus writing for the AP:
The Democratic mayor of Laurel says he is not endorsing Republican Gov. Haley Barbour's for re-election, despite the Barbour campaign's contention that the endorsement was to be announced Thursday.

"I've always been a Democrat, nothing but a Democrat and I remain a Democrat," Mayor Melvin Mack told The Associated Press.

Barbour campaign spokesman Brian Perry called AP on Wednesday and said Barbour and Mack were having a news conference at 4:15 p.m. Thursday to announce that Mack would endorse the governor.

So what explains this confusion?
Mack's office called AP on Thursday to say the mayor never intended to endorse Barbour. Mack said his secretary took a call last week from someone in Barbour's office, who told her the governor was planning to be at a museum in Laurel on Thursday and wanted to come to City Hall to meet with the mayor.

Mack said he understood the meeting would be a casual discussion, possibly about Hurricane Katrina recovery. Laurel was hit by tornados spawned by the storm on Aug. 29, 2005.

"When the president came, I went to see the president. I didn't endorse the president," Mack said. "Certainly, I can't endorse the governor. The word 'endorsement' never came out of my mouth."

Has the Governor's campaign gotten so arrogant as to think every meeting will result in an endorsement?

4 comments:

  1. I agree, very sloppily done ... although this might be the least of his worries based on the scandal that is brewing.

    I've just posted a new entry on my blog concerning the news that has been coming out about Governor Barbour: http://yallerdog.blogspot.com/

    -YD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My God !

    Haley had to shit. 3 to 1 says the Comm guy got fired for that one. On the spot. Should have. I would've. Endorsements aren't a fly by night "show up on Thursday at noon for endorsement" thing. They're timed and orchestrated and roo-rah'd over. Especially ones where people SWITCH PARTIES. Comm guy doesn't/didn't have a clue. Phenomenally stupid. Top 10 all time gaffes.

    This might be my favorite "dumb campaign staffer" story ever. Actually, it is. Most of the time, they're from Dem campaigns (cause that's who I hang out with). This one is from a REPUBLICAN, one who, frankly, doesn't make campaign mistakes.

    Ha, ha ha, ha, ha.

    -m

    ReplyDelete