Friday, March 7, 2008

One Quilt and a Horse Arena: Our Moment in the (National Media) Sun

1. I'm not sure what considerations go into planning events and I'm sure there are some good ones, but every event I've ever been to in the Jackson metro area put on by the state party has been astetically unattractive. The hotel usually used for the JJH Dinner has poor audio and the walls seem yellowed by age. The Canton Multipurpose Center had a thin layer of carpet laid over dirt in a space that is often used for horse shows.

Clinton's use of the Depot was a far better choice (for feel and for the cameras), though I understand space is most important for a fundraiser. I'm sure there is a meeting place in or near Jackson that is neither ancient or typically used for horses for future events. I surely hope so.


2. The use of a quilt featuring the Democratic donkey and Mississippi as a background has always baffled me. I've commented or complained about it to many folks, though perhaps this is a better venue.

It is not visually attractive. It doesn't make a good background for cameras. If anything the use of a quilt says "yes we are the party of yesterday" which isn't true. We need something attractive with attention paid to how it will look on television. We need it sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment