Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Jackson Free Press Childers Interview

I love the populist message of Travis Childers. From a recent post to the Jackson Free Press,

JFP: I’m sure you’ve always heard that Washington is a heavily partisan place. Is that the feeling you get?

Childers: In all fairness, it is, but let me follow that up by saying people have been extremely nice to me. The Democrats, of course, have been especially so excited for us to win our seat back. They keep saying that this has been a Republican seat for 13 years and blah, blah, blah. Well, no one gets a political seat by divine right. Nobody. And they never seem to recall that it was a Democratic seat for almost 100 years before that.

JFP: Yeah, but that was prior to the state’s two-party system and the Southern Strategy and so on. You’ve got to keep that in context.

Childers: Absolutely, but it’s not meant to be either a Republican seat or a Democrat seat. The seat belongs to the people, and I think our campaign message resonated with the people of Mississippi. I think they, once again, felt like they could have somebody who’s one of them representing them. I’m about the lowest common denominator you can get to. I come from working folks and working families. I’m middle class, haven’t even been able to be an elitist in all my life, and I’m happy and proud of that, and I say that with no apology to anybody.

Childers is the people's representative, let's make sure he stays in Washington.

1 comment:

  1. But then Thursday he votes in favor of the war appropriation. He even made a campaign issue out of his desire to get us out of Iraq. But then you vote for another Bush blank check for war? I'm disappointed with his start.

    ReplyDelete