Monday, June 16, 2008

Will the real Roger Wicker please stand up?

Will the real Roger Wicker please stand up?

I am going to have to give credit where credit is due and thank Roger Wicker for two of his most recent votes. Senator Wicker broke ranks with his pal George W. Bush and voted with the interests of his constituency on two huge bills. For a guy I prefer to call Rubber Stamp Roger this is groundbreaking news.

On May 21, Wicker voted to override President Bush's veto of the 2008 Farm Bill, H.R. 2419. Then on May 22, Wicker voted for S.Amdt. 4803 to H.R. 2642 (Military Construction and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2008), which is the G.I. Bill designed by Senator Webb that greatly increased the benefits to our veterans. If you sit real still you might feel the earth moving under your feet. Do I feel a seismic shift in a particular legislator's political positioning?. What in the world is going on here?

From this man's viewpoint I see a politician who is fully cognizant of both the national and state level electoral shifts occurring in near parallel fashion. The Childers victory in the MS-01 special election sent shock waves throughout the entire Republican establishment from Jackson to Washington. Their tried and true tactics of smear and fear came up not just short but WAY short in a once deemed ruby red district. Wicker realizes that the economic populism of Mississippi once captured by the politicians of our past, but long since buried beneath a layer of division forged in the fires of racism and fear, has been revived and is alive and well thank you.

What I want know is which Roger Wicker do the voters of Mississippi get? His history on agriculture and veteran's affairs offer a proven, documented and persistent voting record of wrongheadedness. His last two votes show a different Roger Wicker. Is there maybe a chance that his recent turnaround is a product of the that fact he is trailing former Governor Ronnie Musgrove in the most recent polls? It reminds me of my childhood when I used to clean my room thoroughly after not doing so for a week in the hope my one good showing would prevent any consequences. That strategy did not work for me and I would suspect it is not going to work for Roger Wicker.

Roger has received some high ratings in the past.

Roger Wicker supported the interests of the National Farmers Union 0 percent in 2005-2006.

Roger Wicker supported the interests of the National Farmers Union 17 percent in 2003-2004.

Roger Wicker supported the interests of the Disabled American Veterans 50 percent in 2006.

Roger Wicker supported the interests of the Disabled American Veterans 0 percent in 2005.

Roger Wicker supported the interests of the Disabled American Veterans 0 percent in 2004.

I guess we can count on Roger to vote with us only in election years when the political climate has shifted in favor of the veterans and farmers. If somehow he wins (he won't), we can look forward to his votes in 2014 at least.

Will the real Roger Wicker please stand up?

9 comments:

  1. Try to link to things other than just making accusations or casting aspersions. I'm not going to delete this comment, but you know you can do better, and this definitely is not raising the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay.

    Our stated policy is to not allow personal (read not related to the duties of the office) attacks on candidates.

    We didn't allow them against Childers or Davis (removing accusations against both) and we won't allow them against Wicker or Musgrove.

    Feel free to comment on your point about campaign disclosure, but stay away from the sleaze.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right. Sleaze is spelled RONNIE. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Reid thinks Roger Wicker has done a great job on Veterans Issues, as do I

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=RKMuxTEzsCo

    ReplyDelete
  5. plenty of others would beg to differ

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how Mr. "Dawg" only pops up to post links to videos on Roger Wicker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read all of your post, and find most of them insightful, even though I am from the other side. I rarely post, unless its something I find interesting or makes sense. I find it interesting that your leader in the Senate is praising Sen. Wicker on something you said he fails at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We appreciate your readership. It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a Harry Reid disciple, I am a Democrat. I call 'em like I see 'em. Thanks for reading and posting.

    ReplyDelete