Thursday, August 16, 2007

Pickering's Press Release on Quitting Congress (at the end of his term)

CHIP PICKERING'S STATEMENT ON 2008 CAMPAIGN

(BRANDON, MISS) – Today, Congressman Chip Pickering released the following statement:

Today, I am announcing that I will not seek re-election in 2008. Serving the Third District of Mississippi over the last eleven years has been a great honor. It has been, and continues to be, one of the greatest experiences of my life. I have come to know well the people and communities of our generous state.

I am thankful to all who helped elect me to six terms in the House. First, to my family, Leisha and the boys, who worked hard in my campaigns and every day to make my congressional service possible. My parents inspired my service, set positive examples for me, and provided a good name and start. Our family has been blessed by the many friendships and experiences we have made along the way.

I have the good fortune of a talented, committed congressional and campaign staff who have made lasting contributions to our country and state, fought worthy battles, and run effective campaigns. In the process, we formed committed friendships and a love for one another. They are my extended family for which I am profoundly grateful.

Volunteers, family, and friends contributed their time, toil, and resources to give me the opportunity to earn elections and serve in Congress. I deeply appreciate all their efforts.

I am also fortunate to have been part of significant chapters in our nation's and Mississippi's history. I love public service: creating and shaping legislation, building our institutions and infrastructure, helping communities and individuals.

With the rest of our congressional delegation, past and present, along with state and local leaders, I worked to strengthen Mississippi. In Congress, I focused on, and continue to press forward for, legislation and resources vital to Mississippi priorities in agriculture, our military bases and defense missions, veterans, energy, health care, telecommunications, and economic development. I sought to make our culture more decent and our communities stronger. After Hurricane Katrina, I am proud to have been a part of and witness to a remarkable recovery, rebuilding and a defining moment of our state and people.

As I close this chapter of my life, I see a stronger, more unified and growing Mississippi. Our universities are leading research centers. Our military, national, and homeland security contributions expand every day. We are strategically transforming to a high-tech, high-wage, advanced skill economy.

I look forward to continuing my service in this Congress as I fulfill this term. Much important work remains to be done. We must complete the funding for our state's priorities. We face fundamental decisions regarding Iraq and our efforts to defeat terrorism. Energy, agriculture, health care and environmental legislation await our return this fall and next year. Beyond that, I have no plans, but I am content and confident that I will find new ways to serve and contribute.

Although I will not seek re-election to the next Congress, I will always remain involved in community and political life. After eighteen years in public service, starting in 1989 in the first Bush Administration, then on Senator Lott's staff, and most recently as a Member of the House, it is time for me to gain new experiences in the private arena. I believe these experiences will prepare me to be a better leader in the future. I continue to view public service as a noble calling. I am not saying a final farewell, but hopefully, simply taking a leave of absence.

I have a window of opportunity to maximize my time, influence and participation in the lives of my five sons now ages 8 to 17. Time is the one element I can never recover or regain. Being a father is one of life's greatest callings.

I make this announcement with a full heart and abiding faith in both our country and great state. I look forward to working together to complete our mission and fulfill our promise.


Thanks again to Will Bardwell for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment