Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thank You John Edwards For Class And A Focus On Poverty And Recovery

John Edwards ended his campaign the same place he started it.

"to remind the country that we as citizens and as a government have a moral responsibility to each other and what we do together matters"

thecount said it very well in the comments:
Thank you John and Elizabeth Edwards for fighting the good fight. Thank you for speaking up for the poor. Thank you for pushing for universal health care. Thank you for keeping the discussion on these topics which are so important. I can't help but think he was doing the Lord's work. God bless him.

It is with his return to New Orleans that I go back to certain numbers:
There are 35,129 Mississippians are still living in FEMA housing and only $1.64 billion of that money had actually been spent re-building the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

6 comments:

  1. I figured spreading the gospel was a given.
    but. sure.
    sort of like, when people write down their favorite books and don't put the bible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to see John Edwards go. I had hoped he'd stay in through Super Tuesday. I think he's had a positive impact on the race, and at least has gotten some issues discussed that probably wouldn't have been otherwise.

    One of the superblogs has a post up today about the Gulf Coast recovery stories we've been hammering on for the past few days. It has links to some youtubes that you guys should take a look at it. I've got a post up with the link.

    Speaking of spreading the gospel and doing the Lord's work, John 8:32 is one of my favorite verses.
    And, totally appropriate to this discussion, I think.

    I'll have another post about telling the story effectively in the next couple of days.

    Rock on : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing: See my post from this afternoon, "Comparable to the Size of Tupelo." It's basically a refined version of the talking points I'm trying to develop.

    There's a very important detail in there that we need to explore: MDA says all but $100 million of the disaster funding has been allocated. It's in the Steps Report Card. That means they're holding about $3.6 billion, if I've done my math correctly, but they know exactly what they're going to do with it.

    So, I'll be putting up some links to the governor's long-term plan later this week, and suggest that everyone be alert to stories that might give us a clue as to where this money is going.

    John: Good job with the wording of that link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classy exit by Edwards.

    Any idea where the (many) Mississippi Edwards supporters are leaning?

    ReplyDelete
  5. geneo, I'll be sure to keep looking. You are doing good work.

    Tom, here's what I told the Hattiesburg American about where at least youth voters were/are:

    At Southern Miss, the Young Democrats are divided into supporters of Edwards and Obama. Leek said the Obama supporters are especially enthusiastic.

    I know some Hillary Clinton supporters, but most of the folks I know had the candidates ranked with either Obama first and Edwards second or Edwards first and Obama second.

    Wouldn't it be great if it were still competitive when the race got here!?

    I assume both campaigns would do a blitz here with people and ads because there wouldn't be another contest for weeks after Mississippi. (If I am correct)

    ReplyDelete