Friday, June 22, 2007

Gary Anderson is Ready To Serve

Gary Anderson recently sat down with reporter Adam Lynch from the Jackson Free Press for an interview. The following are some excerpts:

Gary Anderson on What He'd Do:
My background includes economic and community development, and I look forward to marketing this state and its $10 billion book of business for insurance. If a company feels like they have insured enough people and don’t want to insure any more, I’m not going to fall down on my knees, beg and plead with them. I’m going to roll up my sleeves and get busy replacing them, getting more companies in here who will aggressively fight for and seek out the business that another company may spurn. This book of business is not as large as that of some other states, but it’s still plenty big. We have a lot of good people in this state who are not committing fraud against the insurance company, and the companies should want to do business here.

Gary Anderson on Race:
People make decisions on who they vote for based on any number of reasons: Whether the person looks good in their eyes; whether or not the person is tall or short; and yes, sometimes it creeps in whether or not a person is of a certain color or ethnic background. I realize those are some limitations in the state. But let me tell you this: I also realize that the majority of Mississippians are kind-hearted people who want good things to happen in our state. I believe that the best in the state is to come. We haven’t lived our best, yet. We’re going to see our best in the future, and I hope to be a contributor to that future when that time comes.

Gary Anderson on Dale and Insurance:
We’re just calling it like it is. We’re not trying to duck and dodge this issue. We know the insurance industry is financing his campaign. Just last week, I received a letter that one of his close friends in the insurance industry had sent out across the state saying: “We need to stand up for George because George has been good to us. He’s been communicating well with the insurance industry.” In that letter, this person asked for 200 agents to stand up for George and give $1,000 a piece, and write private checks in the amount of at least $1,000. The letter also asked insurance companies to give corporate checks in the amount of $1,000 to raise the $250,000 that he needs to fight off this Democratic opponent, referring to me. So, you know, when I see letters like that and I hear the commission say he only accepts a little money from the insurance industry, I can’t help but think that somebody’s having a difficult time telling the truth.
The entire is titled "The Regulator" and can be found by clicking THIS LINK.

4 comments:

  1. George Dale and Haley Barbour seem to have a lot in common, one of the things being that they LOVE BIG INSURANCE! Wonder if Dale is an investor in Barbour's nieces company that the FBI just raided yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good interview though I always take any Free Press sit down with an ounce of caution considering the grist of their Editor's mill.

    If you read their interviews over time the questions they ask Republicans are much more biased in construction and overly confrontational. They aren't nearly representative of Mississippi which would be my primary warning to any reader of their work.

    That being said, my only heartburn with Anderson is that I feel he ran a very mediocre campaign against Reeves who was a complete unknown, really a darkhorse. I didn't expect him to lose and felt let down by his campaign which in retrospect was far too complacent, too Jackson-centric and in some respects too overconfident.

    In the JFP interview he works to point at numerous external reasons for his loss, which in my mind is part healthy spin and part denial, then in the first paragraph of the response to the very next question sings the virtues how his campaign/team is much better and more seasoned this time around.

    I want change in that office but I also don't think I'm alone in having some skepticism in Anderson's ability as a politician to win a statewide office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as the biggest concern is his ability to get elected that's fine by me.

    ReplyDelete