Friday, June 8, 2007

Guest Editorial: 'O Haley, Where Art Thou?'

Approximately one month ago, I sat home one weekend morning in Gulfport reviewing my new homeowners insurance policy. Astounded at the huge increase, in my mind I wondered how I would continue to make ends meet and pay for everything.The increased cost of the homeowners insurance was going to make the monthly mortgage payment DOUBLE! Yes, I said DOUBLE! This, combined with the rising costs of food and gas, and everything else here along the coast since the storm, is quickly approaching the point of being unbearable to most working class folks. You see, wages here have not kept up since Katrina with the rapidly increasing cost of living!



As my eyes glanced downward towards the morning newspaper, I began reading an article announcing that our Governor, Haley Barbour, would be on the coast soon, announcing a multi-million dollar grant award to be used to help restore the Beauvoir, Jefferson Davis' retirement home located on the beach in Biloxi. The public was invited to attend! A light went off in my mind, and at that time it dawned on me that this might just be a good chance to meet and talk to the Governor about the issue of insurance. Surely I thought to myself that he would be very concerned with this very serious financial and economic issue threatening to stifle the recovery of South Mississippi post Katrina.



I arrived at the Beauvoir an hour before the start of the big event, and began to talk to the many people starting to assemble on the grounds. Standing in the middle of the sidewalk leading from the parking lot, I knew that the Governor would have to pass right by in front of me. Ten minutes later, there he was with his wife Marsha by his side making his way towards the stage.



I approached him with my hand extended: "Governor, Billy Bova, glad to see you here today. I would like to talk to you about my homeowners insurance more than doubling on a yearly basis. This situation is greatly affecting my ability to remain a resident and homeowner here on the coast!" His response: "Billy, I don't have a thing to do or say about insurance and don't know anything about it. You need to talk to the insurance commissioner George Dale, he runs all of that stuff." My response back: "but Governor, you are the top elected official here in Mississippi, and I'm standing in front of you, here today, asking for some help, please use your bully-pulpit to help us on this, please!" The Governor then turned away from me and began talking to other people.



While walking away from the Governor and the crowd that had begun to mingle around him, many thoughts raced through my mind. Wow, this was the response( or lack of response )that I, a Mississippi resident, taxpayer, and voter residing in the state's second largest city(Gulfport) had just gotten from the Governor. The impression that I always had of this man, drawn from the national, state, and local media was one of wow, he is truly Mississippi's Mr.Connected-Republican Godfather! This was our famous former RNC Chairman, Washington-insider Governor, big friend of President George W. Bush. How could it be possible that he wouldn't be our biggest advocate on this crucial issue? While our Fourth District Democratic Congressman Gene Taylor is in Washington fighting hard for Federal Legislation to "reign-in" these out of control, anti-trust exempt, billions of dollars in profits insurance companies, our Governor has NOTHING to say.



He seemingly refuses to use the power of his office, his powerful close Washington political-connections, and his persona to weigh-in on this crucial economic issue confronting the Gulf Coast post Katrina. 'O Haley, where art thou?' I think I have figured this one out, he is on the side of big insurance companies. When it comes to homeowners insurance and Governor Haley Barbour, he is not on your side, you are not in good hands, and he is not a good neighbor!



- Billy Bova



(This is a guest editorial, if you have have written something that you think would add to or stimulate current debate please shoot us an e-mail. We may even post it.)

8 comments:

  1. Bova, you tried. The disconnect between politicians and the people is glaring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reasonably Prudent PersonJune 10, 2007 at 8:43 PM

    Ambushing someone isn't the best way to communicate. The Governor has no idea who you are and the specifics of your case. Why don't you put your questions in writing and forward them to his office? While you are at it, CC George Dale and your State legislators. It is obvious you just wanted to set Barbour up instead of getting answers. Pitiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, Republicans wouldn't do anything like this.

    Oh, wait, you mean like Haley giving front row tickets to Musgrove's estranged ex-wife at one of the Gubernatorial debates in 2003.

    Thanks for your feedback and please send us anything you think is worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reasonably Prudent PersonJune 11, 2007 at 7:58 AM

    Apples and Oranges.

    Bova's questions would have been unfair to Mabus and Musgrove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear reasonably prudent person: following your logic, the next time a candidate for office knocks on my door one evening asking for my support and vote, I suppose any questions I have for them I should submit via the mail to them in writing. Sad day when an elected representative of the people can't address an issue with a citizen and voter! Let me suggest to you that you take a course in government and civics so that you can learn how American democracy works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reasonably Prudent PersonJune 11, 2007 at 9:05 AM

    My education in government is sufficient.... and I certainly believe people have a right to question elected leaders...

    Where you make a mistake is presentation. There are appropriate times, places, and manners to talk to elected leaders. There are more effective ways to communicate than ambushing people. I've found a simple letter, phone call or appointment to meet is much more effective than cornering a person and putting them on the spot.

    In that same line of thought, debating over a blog really is pointless, somebody will always nitpick and spin. I ask you to have the last word and then wish you well, RPP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reasonably Prudent PersonJune 11, 2007 at 9:07 AM

    And as a parting post to my final post, there is a tremendous difference between a candidate coming to your door versus confronting them in a public forum with no notice of the issues. Any person that knocks on your door should be prepared to answer questions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear reasonably prudent person: Perhaps if Mr. Barbour had communicated to the writer that he would have one of his staff contact him to hear his concerns, this is why top elected officials have large budgets and staffs, that would have been a more appropriate response. As for discussion of issues on blogs, they are a great forum in which average citizens can be heard, and I would encourage you to continue to come hear and voice your opinions! Thank you for the debate, I think we all want only to improve life here in our great state of Mississippi!

    ReplyDelete