Friday, June 15, 2007

Haley Barbour's Partial Veto Is Illegal

This Spring Haley Barbour selectively vetoed a portions of budget bills. In doing so he cut funding for Mississippi programs involving the YMCA, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and Boys and Girls Clubs.

Jim Hood is suing the Haley Barbour in an attempt to overturn those vetos.

From The Hattiesburg American:
"My intent is to carry out the will of the Legislature and to ensure that the children of Mississippi are not used as pawns in some ill-conceived show of power,” Hood said in a statement.
...
Two previous governors, Kirk Fordice and Ronnie Musgrove, were unsuccessful in similar attempts to veto segments of legislation. State courts have repeatedly ruled against governors using a partial veto.

“It would be a dramatic shift of power from the Legislature to governor” if Barbour prevailed, Tollison said.

I think that his blocking of funds for youth programs, coupled with his attempts to severely cut state medicaid and his successful effort to shut down the Partnership for a Healthy Mississippi all come together to show us one thing.

Haley Barbour has a strange and dangerous view of government. He doesn't appear to believe that it has a role to take care of people. Haley Barbour wants to destroy the government's ability to do good. We must not allow him to do so.

2 comments:

  1. Reasonably Prudent PersonJune 16, 2007 at 12:33 PM

    One thing I found interesting while reading the complaint (you have read it, right?) is that Hood is asking for attorney's fees. I'm not sure how that works, the AG's office recovering Attorney's fees from the Governor's office?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit I haven't read the suit. I based my opinion off of newspaper articles I read. I may have to check it out.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete