Thursday, November 8, 2007

Great News in District 111 / Every Vote Counts!

From the Sun Herald:
Jackson County election officials on Wednesday declared Democrat Brandon Jones the winner of the state House District 111 seat, which came open when 15-year veteran Carmel Wells-Smith, a Republican, decided not to run for re-election.

The tally, incomplete Tuesday night, had Republican Tim Lee, a radio station owner and talk-show host, ahead of Jones, a young Pascagoula attorney, by two votes. Once all the absentees were counted, Lee trailed Jones by two votes.

Then Wednesday the county Election Commission, circuit clerk, Lee and his attorneys and attorneys for Jones went through more than 200 affidavit ballots, weeded out those that did not qualify to vote in that race and came up with 106 valid ballots.

They scanned them and found 101 actually voted in the House District 111 race, 46 for Lee and 55 for Jones - putting Jones ahead of Lee by 11 votes.

"Don't let anyone tell you a vote doesn't count," said Circuit Clerk Joe Martin, who, like the others, had spent most of Wednesday completing the vote count in that race.


Brandon Jones is an intelligent, thoughtful, Christian man and I was glad that I was able to assist him in a small way. He will make an excellent representative.

Notice the frame in his ad where he and a student are at a computer. It's a picture of Brandon Jones and I. It's at 18 seconds in.


Though I never intended to be anonymous (using my real name on everything I wrote), it has been interesting to see the Republicans efforts at what I assume was opposition research on me. One of the Republican candidates asked extended family members about me, a Barbour staffer spent some time on my public facebook account (a social networking website) and I'm sure I've missed other instances.

This isn't to say I believe I'm that important; it's just been curious to watch the ever paranoid Republicans.

3 comments:

  1. You know Jones ran as a conservative democrat, and it looks like he convinced enough folks to get elected. It will be interesting to see how he votes. Many of us who really know him realize that he is much more liberal that the positions he took in the election. He doesn't have the same political views that his father holds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have known Brandon Jones for over ten years now, and although it's been a long time since I've seen him, I can say without reservation that he is one of the most considerate, genuine and intelligent people I have ever met in my entire life. If the impact he had on me is one tenth the impact he will have in public service, then the people of District 111 should count themselves VERY BLESSED. I know that we can all be a little politician wary in these confusing times, but I can honestly say that Brandon's character is true and honorable and he will always do the right thing for the people he represents. I would like to offer congratulations to Brandon and his entire family, and wish many blessings on what lies ahead for them, and all of the people of the MS Gulf Coast.

    Sincerely,

    Angie Marquez
    Starkville, MS

    ReplyDelete