Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Minor Disagreement

In early October I asked Matthew Krell to read over some writings at the Legal Schnauzer website and give a response. I asked him to do so because I have no legal background and the Minor case is very complicated and almost entirely related to law. Here is what he had to say:
The Virtue of Virtue in a Venal World

Krell takes issue with the writings because he doesn't believe we should lightly throw around charges of partisanship in non-partisan positions.
This is the single, overarching issue; it's a simple return back to the culture of corruption. How can we trust any officeholder that was complicit in the development of this system, where we can believe that our judges aren't impartial and nautral? And that's the most frightening thing:

That we can believe that this is no longer a nation of laws, but of men.

Legal Schnauzer recently gave a response in two parts to Krell's criticism.

The first part suggests that Krell is too idealistic saying:
Our differences, I think, are attributable to age and experiences. I gather that Mr. Krell is a law student, so I'm guessing he's in the 22-25 age range. That would make him about half my age. And by virtue of my age, I'm guessing I've developed a more hardened perspective on life than has Mr. Krell.

Ultimately, I'm not sure that Mr. Krell and I disagree all that much. He's embarking on a career in the law, and it's probably healthy for him to think that he's heading into a noble profession. Meanwhile, I've seen the darker side of the legal world.
My Common Critic Part I
I'm not a big fan of the tone here as it could be interpreted (whether it is or not) as disrespectful, but the author attempts to be civil in the piece.



The second part addresses specific points raised by Krell and appears to reflect significant research:
My Common Critic II
Here's where Mr. Krell and I certainly agree. He writes: "What has happened when officeholders on trial for corruption can claim that their opponents are attempting to bring them down, and have it actually be plausible?"

Then he says it all goes back to the "culture of corruption."

"How can we trust any officeholder that was complicit in the development of this system, where we can believe that our judges aren't impartial and neutral? And that's the most frightening thing: That we can believe that this is no longer a nation of laws, but of men."

I hear you, brother. I hear you.
It will be interesting to see how the Congressional investigation concludes concerning possible selective prosecution of Democrats and heavy Democratic funders for actions also done by Republicans, but not prosecuted for.

No comments:

Post a Comment