Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Ouch (or)

It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To*

- I fully expected losses in the races for Governor, Lt. Governor, Treasurer, Auditor, and Secretary of State. It was clear that in those races the Republicans was ahead far in advance of the election.

- I also fully expected Jim Hood's win and still don't understand why they spent all that money even after it was clear that he would still win. I'm glad he won with a lead better than any other statewide race with the exception of Treasurer where even I voted for the Republican. (Indereformocrat Shawn O'Hara needs help, not a position of responsibility.)

- The heart-breakers were for the positions of Commissioner of Insurance and Commissioner of Agriculture. Gary Anderson looked behind, but polling did not show the hidden bias that once again robbed him of a position he was better suited for than his opponent. I thought that the Agriculture race would go to House and after having placed all blame on the legislature and Mississippi State University Lester would find his defeat there. It looks like there too the Democrat goes down in defeat.

That leaves the unenviable position of 7 Republicans and 1 Democrat statewide. I think it's fair to say that Mississippi Democrats have hit the bottom of the curve with successes in the Senate and not losing seats in the House (or possibly one, I'm not sure).

*Subtitle recommended by my father.

3 comments:

  1. There's no way that we can compete with a barrage of negative advertisements that run on TV and radio 24/7 and mailers that get delivered every 3rd day. It's sad, but you've got to have a lot of money and go negative on your opponent in order to win. I hope that our great candidates find ways to stay involved in the party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a lot to put yourself out there like that and I too hope they stay involved. We can't do it without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn...the Republicans freaking SWEPT. Craazy. Are they planning some kind of Permenent-Mississippi-Republican-Majority or something. Absolutism (not enlightened absolutism, just plain absolutism--yay European history) seems to run strong in Republican circles..hmm

    ReplyDelete