Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Congressman Childers

It looks like it all has not been a dream for the past few weeks.

Congratulations Congressman Childers!



Congressman Travis Childers Sworn In to 110th Congress, Immediately Votes to Help Lower Gas Prices

Childers Thanks God and Family, Pledges to Work Hard
for Mississippi

Washington, DC – Congressman Travis Childers today was sworn in as the Representative for Mississippi’s First District for the 110th Congress. For his first vote, Congressman Childers supported the Gas Price Relief for Consumers Act of 2008 (H.R. 6074).

In a floor speech immediately after being sworn in, Congressman Childers thanked God, his family, and the people of North Mississippi, and pledged to reach across the aisle and get to work for Mississippi families.

Congressman Childers then took his first vote to lower gas prices by allowing the U.S. government to crack down on OPEC for oil price fixing. Currently, no foreign sovereign entities are subject to anti-trust law. The bill Congressman Childers supported holds OPEC liable in U.S. Courts for engaging in price-fixing or other anticompetitive activities.

Congressman Childers’ Floor Statement:

Today, I must begin by thanking God. By thanking my community. And by thanking the people of Mississippi’s 1st District.

I am humbled by the trust they have placed in me, grateful for their support and committed to working for the people of North Mississippi each and every day.

I want to thank my wife Tami who has been by my side for 27 years and our wonderful children, Dustin and Lauren.

I want to thank my mother, who always believed in me. I want to thank every person who stood with us and has been a part of my life.

And I want to let everyone know that I am ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work.

As a local elected official, I worked hard and worked with both parties. I focused on balancing budgets and creating jobs. This will still be my approach and these will be my priorities in Congress.

I pledge to work as hard as I can to mend our failing economy and help bring down the skyrocketing cost of gas, groceries and health care.

I look forward to meeting and working with all of you.

And I look forward to standing up for the values of the people who I have the honor of serving.

I pledge to work every day for the people of the 1st District of the great state of Mississippi.


2 comments:

  1. It gave me chills watching Travis be sworn in to represent the district I was born and raised in. What a greta moment for the working people of MS-01, to know that interests will now be represented in Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone know where I can find the video online of the swearing in ceremony?

    ReplyDelete